Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pictures and Video!!!

Here is a slide show of all the pictures that we took during the challenge. Below you can view all the "good" videos taken day to day. All pics and video were taken from my Optio-W20. Note: Google cuts out some of the video clarity just so you know its not the cameras fault. Here is the line up. enjoy.... (All links are videos)

Here are some other sources of pictures from the EC 2007:

NEW Picture slideshows!! I will add more when I see them online!

Salty Fog's: http://msullivan145.photosite.com/Album1/

CrazyRussian's (Credit to Amy!): http://www.crazyrussian.info/EC2007.html

Wizard's shlideshow: http://mlayden.photosite.com

Scareman's slidwshow: http://www.scareman.photosite.com/

Team RAF Videos

Day1:
View from Wizard after Tampa Bay crossing
Surfing outside of Venice Inlet

Day2:
Downwind past North Captive Island
Late Night around Cape Romano

Day3:
Left Round Key, Headed for Indian Key

Day4:
Early morning leaving Graveyard
Around Middle Cape
Around East Cape (bury that AMA!)
Hiked out around East Cape

Day5:
We finished early in the morning at 7:08am. Hooray
Sailing in "Cat mode" with Wizard as the fourth (Mike was veery sleepy).

What a ride. More to come, Pics and trip reports galore. Thanks again to everyone who has been following our adventure.

3 comments:

dstgean said...

Love the pictures and video!

I'm curious about some of the mods to the Wa'apa and how you guys liked the design, what you changed, beam, ama volume, rudder system, etc. Having finished a Ulua at 21' and finding it a bit likely to swamp in some of the more robust conditions, I've though about decking it. However, it might be easier to build a Wa'apa an use some of the components from that on the new hull. Any commentary?

Dan

Alan Stewart said...

We liked the Wa'apa a lot. I think for solo sailing, a 16foot verson of the wa'apa would be very nice. Decking in was very easy. All we did was curve the top of the bulkheads and glue in plywood to the top. We reinforced the edges of the deck with fiberglass tape that overlapped onto the side of the hull and then just cut out the cockpit holes. Decking however does facilitate the need for a seat of some sort and will also limit storage unless you make hatches. We also found the deck a little on the weak side (with just AC plywood) and would have reinforced the underside with cross braces every foot or so if given the chance. A layer of fiberglass on the deck would have been good too. If you are worried about swamping and deck it in, then you will probably also want to look into building a cockpit rim so that you can use a sprayskirt to keep out the dumping waves. We did not really ever have "dumping waves" but the occasional roller that just sort of poured in down your back made the skirt worth while. I would say that you could easily add a deck to your Ulua and a rudder too. The hobie rudder worked great for us and was easy to modify. You would need to square off transom of you hull or create some sort of side mounting bracket that you could use with a tiller. I'm not sure what you want out of the boat in the end (ocean expedition sailing vessel or occasional day tripper) but also keep in mind that deckin in the hull makes it hard to take others out on the boat. Hope this helps some. feel free to e-mail me also if you have more questions about any of the sytems and how they worked or what I think I would have changed. Guys, feel free to chime in also.
my e-mail (for longer discusson) acstewar@ncsu.edu

Michael said...

Dan,

Looking at the small picture of your Ulua, I would think that is would be safer to build a Wa'apa with a deck. From the pictures on Gary's website it looks like you don't have any substantial bulkheads that you could add a deck support; plus you would have another boat to play with.

If you look at our videos you can see that we fully submerged our amas at times, so they have enough displacement to do the job. Our akas are 10' across, and the centerline of the ama is about 4" in from outside when attached to the aka; so, our effective arm is ~9' 8". We had to keep our akas short to be able to fit through the bridge; even at 10' we managed to take a few oysters with us. One thing that I would definitely change on the amas it the shape of the pylons. We essentially stuck on some blocks, but something like Gary has illustrated (longer and thinner) will get rid of alot of the spray we encountered. Although our pylon design did slow us down before thing could have potentially gotten out of control.

One thing that I'm not convinced we got right was the placement of the leeboard. I didn't get much of a chance to sail under the full leeboard because it folded on the first day, but the rest of the trip felt like a lot of weather helm. Maybe Alan can comment on this being the seasoned sailor and having had 4 days of a solid leeboard.

Mike