Saturday, December 30, 2006

A Big Square Boat

On Thursday we showed up at the shop and decided that we should scarf and glue the tops and bottom plywood sections. To do this we ripped six plywood sheets down to a smaller size and then we pulled out the scarfing jig to cut the shallow angle. After arranging the sheets for each boat we took them inside to start the epoxy gluing. All of this was straight forward after having done this for all of the side panels.

Once everything was curing on the tops and bottoms, finalizing work started on bulkheads for boat 1. This was one of the most frustrating parts of the build because we had to make sure that the whole boat was more or less in a straight line. We eventually solved the problem by adding diagonal cross braces for each section of the hull. At the end of the day boat 1 was curing with the bulkheads and stem in place.

To see all of our work on the bulkheads check out our time lapse video...cool camera Alan! A picture was taken every 2.5 minutes.

No comments: